Our Five Incorporated Communities
In addition to many unincorporated communities scattered across Giles County’s 611 square miles, there are five incorporated cities that have their own boards of mayor and aldermen, collect taxes for the purpose of providing public utilities and protect the safety of residents though operation of a police department. Each community hosts annual events that attract visitors from throughout Giles and neighboring counties.
Ardmore (pop. 1,246)
With the announcement of a new railroad line between Nashville and Decatur, Alabama, in 1910, the Louisville and Nashville Railroad is credited with the establishment of Ardmore. Originally called “Austin” as construction began in 1911, the town was renamed “Ardmore” by the railroad when construction was completed in 1914. Today, Ardmore is a growing town with a number of national stores and chain restaurants along with locally owned shops and eateries. It straddles the Tennessee/Alabama state lines, with he Tennessee side being home to 1,246 people.
Elkton (pop. 533)
Elkton is nearly as old as Giles County, having been established in 1808 on the banks of the Elk River. A major steamboat and stagecoach stop on the route between Nashville and Decatur, Alabama, throughout the 19th century, today Elkton is home to 533 people. Fishing, boating and kayaking on the Elk River draw outdoor enthusiasts to the Elkton area for water recreation. Elkton often celebrates its long history by hosting heritage events to which the public is invited.
The Elk River at Elkton offers water recreationally activities.
Lynnville takes pride in its restore depot and museum.
Lynnville (pop. 322)
On Valentine’s Day of 1907, the Tennessee Legislature recognized “New Lynnville” as the city we know today simply as Lynnville. The town, built on each side of the Nashville and Decatur, Alabama, railroad, was a hub for trade. Located in an area in which three Tennessee counties, Giles, Maury and Marshall, the town was known for livestock and other agricultural trade. Today, Lynnville is home to 322 people. Much of Lynnville’s residential and all of its commercial district is listed in the National Register of Historic Places as the Lynnville Historic District. The main street’s later Victorian-era buildings have been restored and are occupied by retail shops and a popular eatery.
Minor Hill (pop. 539)
After treaties with the Cherokee and Chickasaw Tribe were established, settlers moved to an area now known as Minor Hill. The city sports its name for Joseph Minor, who owned 450 acres on a hill named for himself. When the Minors sold their land in roughly 1857, the new land owners bought what was referred to as “Minor Land” and the name stuck. Minor Hill is most known as the location of the capture of Sam Davis, the 21 year old confederate spy who was hanged only to become “The Boy Hero of the Confederacy” and as the location of the last battle for Tennessee in the Civil War. Minor Hill’s excellent park facilities host rodeos, fish fries and many other community events. Today, Minor Hill has a population of 539 people.
Minor Hill’s city park hosts a variety of annual events.
Pulaski is an historic town that looks to the future.
Pulaski, the county seat of Giles County, is named for a Polish count Casimir Pulaski, who died heroically in the American Revolutionary. Built on the shoals of Richland Creek, Pulaski was home to three Governors of Tennessee in the mid-1800s and is a culturally, recreationally and economically diverse community today of 7,666 residents. The community works together and looks to the future by creating neighborhoods focused on preserving values and sustaining small town charm while striving to develop new traditions and a welcoming environment for all residents and visitors.